[COSPLAY] First Blade (Supernatural)



1. Pattern making

First of all, I searched for a lot of reference pictures to get the size of the blade. I found a replica where the messurements were noted, so I used them. In the end it turned out slightly bigger, I think, but well. So I took a picture of the blade copied it in Microsoft Word, because I have no skill with graphic programmes, messured and printed it.

2. Transfering
This time I didnt't use foam because the blade is much thicker. Furthermore styrofoam is easier to sand if you have such a unique shape, as this one.

3. Sanding

So after transfering and cutting it out, comes the fun part...not. Sanding and a lot of more sanding until the shape maches the original blade. I used a Dremel if I needed to get rid of a lot of material, but most of the time I used sanding-paper. This works slower, but styrofoam is also a little fragile and you can go more into detail with the paper. This took quite a long time and I paused between, because this step isn't funny. But the result was worth it.

4. Wrapping in Worbla

Like the Demon-Knife I used Worbla to cover it, this makes the blade more durable. This time the old worbla. First of  all because I had some leftovers and seccond it is better to mold. Also the rough surface isn't a problem because the blade has no clean surface. It's a bone after all ;) 

5. Molding and Carving
So after wrapping it, cutting the edges, sanding them and making them smooth, comes molding. I used worbla leftovers, heat them up and molded little teeth. Then I stick them on the blade. That's really it. Also I carved in the battledamage and the tribal looking thing with my Modeling-tools. 

6. Priming

I used wood glue as always. Didn't count the layers, it must be up to six. Just do it until it is smooth.

7. Painting


Now you need a refernece picture. I am not a pro in painting. I do it freestyle, but I am quite experienced how I do it. At first I painted the whole blade in a very light, nearly white color. Then used some more brown with white paint, mix it and go over it. Two layers, then comes the shading. Bevore I explain every step in detail. You go from light to dark and look at your reference where the color is more dark and more light. So for this steps you don't simply brush the color on, you use bristle brush stomp it into the paint and then get rid of most the paint. Then you slightly dab the brush over and over on the blade, where you need the shadows/dark corners/or else. Same with light effects, but that comes at the end. So why dabbing? Because then you don't see any strokes, it's an even surface in the end. It is more work yeah, but it is worth it. If you want that task more simple use an air brush. I really need one, because your hand is done after this. But I have no money, student, so no for now :P


8. Finish
Because I only had shiney gloss spray I used Flexi-Paint from. This is also suited to seal. Simply brush it on. I did two layers and your paint is secure and don't shine like the sun.
Then of yourse the leather stripes. I had some leather left, because as a Cosplayer you have everything laying around. So I cutted out some stripes, small ones and thicker ones for the handle. I wrapped them around and tried to glue the end under another strap, so you don't see it. The handle was more work. I cutted out stripes and glued a little part to the upper handle. Then you need another strap and weave it crossover till you get to the end of the handle. More thin leather stripes. So now I used some brown and white acrylic paint and used the same technique as above. Bristle brush, slightly paint, doing some fine strokes or dabs, so the leather looks used. 


Tadaaaah there you go! 


Kommentare

Favorite Posts

[Rezension] The Wheel of Time: The Eye of the World #1

[REVIEW] The Broken Empire #1: Prince of Thorns

Sign of Life