[REVIEW] Dune by Frank Herbert

 

Book

Title: DUNE

Series: DUNE

Volume: 1 of 6

Author: Frank Herbert

Publisher: Ace

Release Date: 1965

Pages: 535


Summary

Set on the desert planet Arrakis, Dune is the story of the boy Paul Atreides, heir to a noble family tasked with ruling an inhospitable world where the only thing of value is the “spice” melange, a drug capable of extending life and enhancing consciousness. Coveted across the known universe, melange is a prize worth killing for...

When House Atreides is betrayed, the destruction of Paul’s family will set the boy on a journey toward a destiny greater than he could ever have imagined. And as he evolves into the mysterious man known as Muad’Dib, he will bring to fruition humankind’s most ancient and unattainable dream. 

My Opinion

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer."

I was so intimidated to start this book/series but I desperately wanted to read it before the movie came out, and I would have never imagined that the story would hook me right from the start. I seriously had no idea what they were talking about or what was going on in the world, but I enjoyed it a lot. It was exciting and intriguing, the characters were interesting and the political schemes were amazing. I also loved the religious aspect of the Fremen and their Water-Way, that was absolutely amazing.

The story itself was really fast-paced, in my opinion, there were no boring or needless scenes and it was not description heavy. Which was also a little minus-point, I sometimes would have loved a little more background information, but it works out if you read the Appendix. Next, the time jumps. At first I got a little confused, I think it would have been nice to get some dates at the beginning of a chapter and also some things that happened in the background might have been interesting to read. But that would have also made it way too long, so it was totally fine.

The writing style is ok. It needs some time to get into it, cause it’s quite irritating when you switch back and forth from 3rd-person to 1st-person - but you get that quickly.

The ending was great and epic. I loved how everything worked out so smoothly. 
Because it was my first read, I’m still a little confused about all the political stuff, the religion and especially the power and spice working. But overall I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I did. A really great story and I can’t wait to continue!

Rating


Video-Review in German




Kommentare

Favorite Posts

[Rezension] The Wheel of Time: The Eye of the World #1

[REVIEW] The Broken Empire #1: Prince of Thorns

[REVIEW] The faithful and the fallen #1: Malice by John Gwynne