[REVIEW] The Wheel of Time #14: A Memory of Light

Book

Title: A Memory of Light

Series: The Wheel of Time

Volume: 14 von 14

Author: Robert Jordan

Publisher: Tor Books

Release Date: 18.09.2014

Pages: 1040


"Like the unfettered dawn shall he blind us, and burn us, yet shall the Dragon Reborn confront the Shadow at the Last Battle, and his blood shall give us the Light. Let tears flow, O ye people of the world. Weep for your salvation!"


Summary

In the Field of Merrilor the rulers of the nations gather to join behind Rand al’Thor, or to stop him from his plan to break the seals on the Dark One’s prison – which may be a sign of his madness, or the last hope of humankind. Egwene, the Amyrlin Seat, leans toward the former.

In Andor, the Trollocs seize Caemlyn.

In the wolf dream, Perrin Aybara battles Slayer.

Approaching Ebou Dar, Mat Cauthon plans to visit his wife Tuon, now Fortuona, Empress of the Seanchan.

All humanity is in peril – and the outcome will be decided in Shayol Ghul itself. The Wheel is turning, and the Age is coming to its end. The Last Battle will determine the fate of the world . .

It is done…after 14 months, 15 books and over 12.000 pages. I finished the Wheel of Time.


My Opinion

What an epic journey this was. A journey I will never forget. A journey that will ever be in my heart. I’ve never read a series like this and I think there will never be one like WoT. It’s been a few days now and I still can’t find words to describe my feelings. It is over, there are no more stories to tell, no more adventures to take and no threads to encounter any longer.

The series had its ups and downs, but overall the detailed and beautiful worldbuilding, invited you to get lost in it and you do sometimes. The characters were like family, sometimes you wanted to hug them and another to yell at them. They felt so real and I’ve seldom read better character arcs.

I’m not going into detail about the last book itself, but it was a worthy addition to the series. It was one of the grandest battles I’ve ever read and not only because the whole book consists of war, but how it was written was phenomenal. You switch from one perspective to another and everything flows together perfectly. All the characters we have ever read about are part of this last battle. You have moments of glory and of pure disaster, you laugh, you cry, your heart gets broken, but you can’t stop. I’m still crying, thinking about the ending. It was beautiful, epic and absolutely satisfying. Seldom I’ve read a more stunning finale than A Memory of Light. It was simply perfect.

"The wind blew southward, through knotted forests, over shimmering plains and toward lands unexplored. This wind, it was not the ending. There are no endings, and never will be endings, to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was an ending."

When I read this one last paragraph I cried. It was over and I couldn’t believe it. I had to say goodbye to this wonderful world and it’s characters. But then... there are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time...so I will definitely come back to start the adventure anew.


Rating

Absolutely gorgeous and emotional!


Video-Review (german)



Kommentare

Favorite Posts

[Rezension] The Wheel of Time: The Eye of the World #1

[REVIEW] The Broken Empire #1: Prince of Thorns

[REVIEW] The faithful and the fallen #1: Malice by John Gwynne