A loveletter to Supernatural...kind of

Family don't end with Blood!


First of all I will wirte this in english, just because I want more people to read and understand it. I hope there aren't that many mistakes, but I am no native English speaker, so wayne.

This isn't a typical review of the series, it is more like describing my feelings while watching and ending the show. How it inflicted me and how I see the fandom now, that I am a part of it. 

There are no particular informations on the series or the story behind, maybe I will write that, but that will go beyond the scope. So I think I will rather start reviewing every episode of the upcoming Season 15, airing on October 10th.


The start:

I was fifteen when this TV-Show first aired. I wasn't into horror, not the slightest bit. And when I stumbled over one episode in the TV, I don't know which one it was, something with a very creepy ghost, it scared the crap out of me and so I never tried to watch it again. And I totally forgot about it, until my Cosplay-time way back in 2009. I always was a nerdy kid and always will be. When I fall in love for a series, or fandom, or something else, I do it with all my heart and everything I have. 

Some of my friends talked about the show, but they weren't that close by the time so I didn't give a damn. At the beginning of 2013 I saw Cosplays from this show popping out everywhere on every convention and still then I didn't care. Although, I was a bit curious why everyone is hyping this series so much. I watched so much series in my youth and my twenties that I didn't want to start a new one. And every time I thought about Supernatural and kept staring at the picture in Amazon I thought: "Thats way too much, too much episodes and seasons to keep up, it can't be good anymore, after this long time airing". And so I didn't start. Furthermore, if something is to hyped I am simply not in it. I am not the person to hop on every train. I did this a few times, and the series got bigger and bigger. And when I got older I kept telling my friends, in joke, if I have too much time I will watch it. Over and over I said that, till it got finally real, but it took me damn 14 years to do so. 
I started to study again in October 2018 and it was the best joice of my life by the way. So at the end of my seccond semester in 2019 my husband and I buyed three month of Sky, because we wanted to see the last Season of Game of Thrones. And because we already had it, I startet watching other series on this platform, Victoria and True Blood, and the later got me really hooked for watching more series again. It was so good and after this series I thought: "What the hell am I supposed to watch now?". It was the middle of july, my finals were over and I had a whole summer to go through and  already benchwatched an entire series in 3 weeks. Furthermore, the most of my friends are my age, so they don't study and have 3 months off. I needed to do something on my own. So I stared at the Supernatural-Poster in Sky. Again. And Again. And Again. They only had the latest episodes but Amazon had it all, so I started....finally...after 14 years. It took me 6 weeks with interruption of 2 weeks hiking in sweden to finish all 14 seasons. Do I need to say more? I think no. So let's start.


Watching:

When I started with the first episode, I wasn't that overwhelmed, but I also kept telling myself, that it is fucking old and you have to give it a chance. And so I did. I liked the idea of the two brothers "Saving people, hunting things, the family business"! As I said I wasn't that overwhelmed, but something catched me, so I watched and watched. The ones of you who have seen this show may know, that the first episodes, aren't a masterpiece, but the two boys got to me. I really liked Dean pretty much from the frist moment, he is swaggy, humorous, bad ass and a womanizer, but also kind and caring for his brother. He would do all, give all he has for the family. Sam on the other hand is more settled, calm and emphatically towards others, but also smart and tough as his older brother which he lookes up to. They would do all for each other and the people they love. And the chemistry between those two could only be described as magical. As bad as the first episodes might have been, these two, Sam and Dean (played by Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles), made it awesome. But maybe bad is the wrong word, they had to find themselves and the show did either. And after a few episodes you totally get the feeling of it.

Although I didn't ever thought this would happen, I was totally in it. I watched it in two days and at the end of the first Season, I knew that this would be my downfall. So my life ended. Literally. I couldn't stop. I have a part time job, but they only needed me 5-10 hours a week that time, so I had pretty much all the time in the world. And I used it. It hit me. Hard. I benchwatched from early in the morning till late at night. Even my dreams where full of Supernatural. I was such an introvert this summer, even when we where elsewhere or meeting friends, my thoughts where about this show. It even got so far, that I didn't get excited for our hiking adventure in Sweden, although I was very excited at the beginning. But by the time, I was at Season 11 and I could't bear the thought of being without this series the next two weeks. Luckily I needn't. We spend a few nights in hotel rooms and I pushed my husband to start. At first he wasn't thrilled, he is not into series at all. But I convinced him and yeah what should I say we watched over 2 Seasons while in Sweden. So I watched Season 1 and 2  twice in a one month range. When I got home, I benchwatched the last seasons and finally or sadly got to the end. And now? What should I do now? Season 15 starts on october 10th and that was way to much time.


Downfall:

"I can't watch something else!" 

Really, nothing keeps my attention, simply nothing. I tried so hard, and I just can't feel it. This series destroyed me in any particular way. So I kept watching again and again and with my husband. I watched youtube videos, followed every actor on twitter, facebook and instagram, and looked for the slightest bit of information. Happily I got company in my misery, a week after I finished the last Season, two of my closest friends came visit me and one of them is a hughe Supernatural Fan, and we talked about the show, shared pictures and information and got our other friend into it to. It was so wonderful, we even put our plan, from a few weeks earlier into progression to cosplay Sam and Dean next year and ordered our wigs. Another friend will do Castiel, and we have a Bobby and maybe Rowena, we will see. Anyway, I just can't let go, the only thing that keeps me going is Cosplay right now, building all the fancy weapons for Supernatural. But when it comes to concentrate onto another story, thats impossible. I tried, hard and failed. I don't know when this will be over. Maybe never...?


Review:

What should I say anymore. I got hooked by a lot of series over the time. They come and go and I enjoy to watch them, more seldom I want to know all about the characters, the history or about the actors. I am so sad, so damn sad that I didn’t gave this show a chance a few years ago it might have changed something in my life sooner. But for now I am sad, that I haven’t been part of this awesome fandom all this time. The more I learn the more I understand. This Fandom is wonderfull, caring and not judging at all. It is in fact a family.


What makes this show so special? 

Well it isn’t a simple lovestory, a drama or a crime series. We have plenty of these in television. It is also not a pure Fantasy-Series it is all of it and so much more. It is about family and friendship, it is about caring for others, to help those who can’t help themselves, to stand up and fight for them and yourself, and always keep fighting till the end. Never give up even if it is the darkest night, there is always hope, there is always another way. You can do it you are strong. 
I understand that many people who saw this series cling to it and say that it saved their lives. It could have also been the solution for my situation a few years ago. It maybe would have gotten me the strength to take a risk sooner. I am glad I found it either way, but some people don‘t. Some people might say now „Dude thats just a TV Show“. I haven’t been that long in the SPNFandom. But my answer is clearly „No. It is not!“. It is so much more. And why shouldn’t something like a TV Show help people find their way and give them strength? And it isn’t only the characters, the actors behind them are so inspiring, caring and real. You can feel their pain, identify with it and thats what makes this show one in a million. There is everything you wish there would be. It can go from humor to action to drama and love in one go. It has all of it. It is family. And family cares for you.

I could go on and on about this stuff, but that would take ages. I just wanted to express my feelings for this show and share it with you all. I should do this more often, it feels great.
So for now I want to say "Thank You" to the show (the actors the crew, everyone) which filled me with so much love, which gave so many people the strength to hold on, to fight for yourself and find you. Be you. And not someone other people expect you to be. You are enough!


Because a wise man once told me
family don't end in blood.
But it doesn't start there either.
Family cares about you, not what you can do for them.
Family's there.
Through the good, bad, all of it.
They got your back, 
even when it hurts.
Thats family.

Kommentare

Favorite Posts

[Rezension] The Wheel of Time: The Eye of the World #1

[REVIEW] The Broken Empire #1: Prince of Thorns

Sign of Life