[BOOK] You're never weird on the internet (almost) [ENG]

Book


Title: You're never weird on the internet (almost)
Author: Felicia Day
Publisher: Sphere
Release Date: April 28, 2016
Pages: 304
Price: Kindle 2,99 €


Plot

The Internet isn't all cat videos. There's also Felicia Day - violinist, filmmaker, Internet entrepreneur, compulsive gamer and former lonely homeschooled girl who overcame her isolated childhood to become the ruler of a new world . . . or at least semi-influential in the world of Internet geeks and Goodreads book clubs.

After growing up in the south where she was 'homeschooled for hippie reasons', Felicia moved to Hollywood to pursue her dream of becoming an actress and was immediately typecast as a crazy cat-lady secretary. But Felicia's misadventures in Hollywood led her to produce her own web series, own her own production company and become an Internet star.

Felicia's short-ish life and her rags-to-riches rise to Internet fame launched her career as one of the most influential creators in new media. Now, Felicia's strange world is filled with thoughts on creativity, video games, and a dash of mild feminist activism - just like her memoir.


Opinion

This was my very first autobiography I've ever read and it was a blast. So why Felicia? I didn't know her before I saw her on Supernatural as Charlie Bradbury. I really liked her character and heard, that the actress is a very famous Game-Nerd and so I got interested. I am into games myself since I got my first Gameboy in the nintees. As I followed every actor of the show on twitter, I discovered, that Felicia is publishing a Book "Embrace your weird" and I was so excited to read it and so I ordered it at my local bookstore. Sadly it took ages to deliver (nearly 1.5 months). But I really wanted to read it. So Frankfurt Bookfair was approaching and I decided to cosplay Charlie (Felicias Character on SPN) two days before. I had so much fun and wanted to know more about this woman, so I decided to buy her first book, to read it before the other will arrive.

So here we go. I am a newbie about biographies, I always pictured them as boring and for old people (maybe I am getting old finally), but this one was hilarious. It was more like a blog-entry. No stiffnes, totally true, funny and really entertaining. In between are little pictures or screenshots to lighten everything up. What happened to me while reading this Book? I was totally in it, with all my heart and mind. In some cases I thought my story is written there. 
When Felicia told about her problem to find herself, I felt connected. There was a time in my life, were I felt the same. I wasn't happy with my job and didn't know what to do about that, where I belong, what my true desire is. For 10 years I felt that way. Until I jumped into cold water. 

She told about her addiction for World of Wacraft at that time and how it helped her, how it made her forget about the cruel world out there, about life and that it sucks. Someone whose not a gamer would never understand, but I do. I went through this as well. During my apprentice, I hated every day of my job, I was unhappy but didn't do a thing. I wanted to push through, because that was the only thing that matters. And nothing, really nothing, at that time gave me so much happiness and the feeling of being home, than to play World of Warcraft. All my problems and feelings vanished in front of my computer, when I was in this beautiful world, free from real-life-problems. But as Felicia told, this doesn't works forever. You need to come back. And she did.

I found it really inspiring to read about her, getting back in line. Be motivated to handle life again, be brave and face the problems head on. And don't let others decide who to be, do your own thing, have patience and it all will work out one way or another. And she made it. This book showed me again, that some things need to happen until life goes on. Sometimes they are bad, really bad, but you need to fight for your goals. Thank you Felicia you inspired me a lot. I can't wait to read the next book.

Conclusion

Entertaining, inspiring and full of humor. Felicia knows how to write. It was wonderfull, fast paste and I read it in no time.


Kommentare

Favorite Posts

[Rezension] The Wheel of Time: The Eye of the World #1

[REVIEW] The Broken Empire #1: Prince of Thorns

Sign of Life